Speed

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is there a way to speed up the map?

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Hi Saltaf,

what do you mean with "speed up the map"? Please clarify your question. And maybe you could give me some hints (# of list-items, browser, connection-speed, time-diff of response, time-diff until everyting has been rendered...) so that I am able to reproduce your situation.

In general: Yes there is one point for optimization within the JavaScript: Each List-Item (which is shown in the list) will call an ajax-request to get detailed data. So you could do an easy calculation that a lot of list-entries results in a lot of ajax-requests and the markers on the map will be displayed successively. So you could have the feeling that the map is slow. - Is it that what you wanted to point at?

Reason why each list-item generates its own ajax-request: The owssrv.dll-interface influences the usage of getting detailled list-item-data. So the most easy way to get detailled data is to get it item by item. If you want to get more than one item for one ajax-request you have to consider the list-view-id and the paging-data for each -request. With other words: In my opionion it would be more complex to use another approach than the item-by-item-approach. - But it sounds that I should study the owssrv.dll-interface to find another (faster) solution (which is not as complex as I think at the moment).

But maybe the algorithm of the JavaScript is not the pain-point for you: You could use some tools to identify what exactly make the map / the page slow.

You could do the following test to identify if this JavaScript makes the page responding slow: Make a copy of your Google-Maps-List-View, delete the Content-Editor-WebPart on the new view and compare the speed of the two views. If the response time differs only a few milliseconds, you should optimize the server (or the soft- or hardware which influences the connections-speed - e.g. a proxy or the cache-settings of your browser) first. If the response-time differs for more than only a few milliseconds or the time for rendering the map for itself lasts too long, you should adjust the number of list-items shown per page (item limit in the list-view-settings).

Best regards,

Axel

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Hey Axel thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The maps are working faster in the google chrome browser where as in IE the zoom in or zoom out is causing complete refresh of map. There is no issue with connection speed what so ever........

> And also is it possible to get the title link instead of title so that the title which is appearing by hovering the mouse can take the user upon clicking to view that item details.... 

> Can a similar solution work for Google Earth as well, i tried but im stuck at the key itself even if i supply the generated key and use a sample from google it says the key is for other website....

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 1:26 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Hi Saltaf,

the browser-specific behaviour (the speed) depends on the Google-Maps-Code. The owner of this code is Google itself so I don´t see any opportunity to influence the behaviour. (But you could try IE9 - this one should be much faster as older versions.)

You could customize the content of the info-window of each marker. At the current version (v1.22) there are two ways of displaying markers. a) If you use geo-coordinates only a title of the marker will be displayed while hoovering the marker. b) If you use geo-addresses the marker will have the same functionality as a) + an info-window will be displayed by clicking the marker (compare line 397+398 in the JavaScript). - In general you could display an info-window with all information you could imagine. - For your goal you only need to build an a-tag with a certain url (DispForm.aspx?ID=<List-Item-ID>&source=<some information for back-functionality>). - Maybe I will insert this functionality for further versions (have a look at change-set 7322 > its under source).

I´ve never thought about a google-earth-integration because in my humble opinion google-earth is a program you have to install and a SharePoint will be used via browser. To build a connection from the browser to a locally installed programm would be quite hard (think on all the security restrictions like firewalls, security-rules from AD a.s.o). - But if you meant the google-maps-street-view I think it should be possible to display some buttons to provide different views for the browser-map. 

Best regards,

Axel

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hi Saltaf,

I added a new version (v1.3). It contains a link to the list-item within the information-window of each maps-marker. 

Best regards,

Axel

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hey Axel,

Thanks and Great job, I will test the new version probably tomorrow and will definitely let you know how it works. 

As for the google earth, there is plugin for IE which works well, there is no need to install the full program, I feel that should work as well. The google earth globe is appearing on the sharepoint site but only issue is with key. If I  get through the key part may be something can be done.

Best Regards

Altaf