You will find a little video on youtube: 5-Minute-How-To: Using the Basic-SharePoint-Google-Maps-WebPart
Why is there another Google-Maps-WebPart?
Imagine you have a standard contact-list in your SharePoint-Teamsite and you simply want to visialize the geographical information which are in your contact-list yet. How do you do that...?
One goal is to search for an existing SharePoint-Solution (Sandboxed-Solution). So send "SharePoint Google Maps WebPart" to your prefered search-engine. You will find a lot of ready-to-use solutions (e.g. http://googlemapswebpart.codeplex.com/
). But there is one big disadvantage: You have to install and deploy the SharePoint-Solutions to the SharePoint-Server. And may be you are not a technician or the owner of the SharePoint or don´t have the money to pay for installing this cool new feature...
- Use standard functionality of SharePoint-Lists (e.g. sorting and filtering of columns) to influence the geographical map-view.
5 Steps to use this SharePoint-Google-Maps-WebPart
- Choose a SharePoint-List which contains geographical information (e.g. addresses or coordinates).
- Go to the choosen SharePoint-List-View which should be improved by maps-functionality.
- Add a standard Content-Editor-WebPart to the choosen SharePoint-List-View.
- Use the improved functionality of the SharePoint-List.
(You will find example configurations in the Documentation
(If you are a german native speaking people you may be interested in my first blog-entry for this codeplex-project